Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Indian Culinary Adventures

Mmmmmm Indian food! I've had more this month than I've had in a year and that is a good thing (well, maybe not for my waistline, but man has it been delicious!!!).  Here's some of my recent culinary adventures.

Spice Court
I looked up Indian grocery stores in San Diego and came across a bunch on Black Mountain Road. I know from my time living in Indiana and visiting friends in New Jersey that some of the best Indian food comes from hole-in-the wall restaurants in the midst of strip malls dominated by Indian stores, so I figured it was a good place to check out (note - any Indian strip mall of repute in New Jersey also has a Dunkin Donuts).  Spice Court was a small market, with a fair selection of Indian spices and packaged goods as well as a small produce section and a rather plain dining area (the Copper Chimney Restaurant) with a few tables. I checked out the handwritten poster menus on the wall and decided to get one of my favorite Indian foods for lunch - Masala Dosa. 
Masala Dosa from the Copper Chimney 

I hate to use this expression on my blog, but OMG. It was good. Real good. I loooooove Masala Dosas!!!! Basically it is a thin crepe (made from fermented rice crazily enough!) filled, in this case, with a spiced potato mixture and accompanied with various chutneys - cilantro chutney and a few others I didn't recognize (not my favorite part of the meal - the dosa could stand on it's own) and a cup of dal. Altogether a phenomenal lunch, under $7.

Bombay Bazaar
Next, I headed across to the larger Indian grocery store, Bombay Bazaar. This place got some bad reviews on Yelp that I don't quite think are fair. It was well stocked, had lots of specialty items, and was fairly well organized, especially compared to some of the other markets I have been to for my armchair traveling food adventures. I found absolutely EVERYTHING on my list and didn't even need to ask for help! 


I was totally amused by the Pillsbury brand naan bread!!!!

my haul!!!!!!
Oh man, I bought SOOOOO much at the market! I came with a few recipes in mind, and stocked up on a bunch of spices and specialty ingredients. I got a couple types of bread (whole wheat roti and parathas), mango chutney, cilantro chutney, tamarind paste, curry leaves, a cheapo frozen meal of onion uttapam, toor dal, a snack mix (khatta meetha - a sweet and spicy blend of gram flour noodles, puffed rice, grean peas and peanuts), asafoetida powder (which I refer to only as ASSafoetida powder because it smells so gross), and mustard, fennel, carrow and fenugreek seeds. I also picked up some Nag Champa incense because it reminds me of my friends in PA who always burn it during their band practices:)

Cooking blog to follow!!!!


5 comments:

  1. GR international is a reputed manufacturers and exporters of Incense Sticks, Natural Incense and Natural Incense Sticks in India.

    For More Details Visit http://www.grincense.com/natural.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darshan International has been involved in this pure and sacred art of making forever 50 years and has experienced the growth of the importance of incense in every field. We are manufacturing like Agarbatti, Incense Sticks Manufacturers.
    For more details visit http://www.darshanincense.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darshan International has been involved in this pure and sacred art of making forever 50 years and has experienced the growth of the importance of incense in every field. We are manufacturing like Agarbatti, Incense Sticks Manufacturers.
    For more details visit http://www.darshanincense.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Padma Perfumery Works started in the year 1954 as a manufacturer, supplier and exporter of premium quality incense sticks and agarbatti. Since inception we have been carrying the faith of customers by presenting them redolent incense sticks that continue to linger not only the olfactory sensation but shroud the mind with a sweet obsession.

    Products :

    INCENSE STICKS
    INCENSE STICKS EXPORTERS
    INCENSE STICKS MANUFACTURERS
    AGRATBATTI
    AGARBATTI EXPORTERS
    AGARBATTI MANUFACTURERS
    RUDRAKSH INCENSE
    RUDRAKSH INCENSE EXPORTERS
    RUDRAKSH INCENSE MANUFACTURERS
    INCENSO
    INCENSO EXPORTERS
    INCENSO MANUFACTURERS

    For more details visit :-http://www.rudrakshincense.in

    ReplyDelete